Current search history:
brussel sprouts over or under cheese on pizza
brussel sprout or brussels sprout
why is brussels sprout spelled brussels
And a little later:
sicilian vs grandma style pizza
what is sicilian pizza
After making pizza two weeks ago, I decided to try again. I doubled the quantity of dough so it was extra thick, tried out some different toppings, and baked it for less time. (does that make it more sicilian, which is thicker?? the internet is not helping)
This time, I was so worried about overbaking it that I think I actually didn’t bake it for long enough. Cue Mary Berry voice: “it’s underbaked.” However, it still turned out so well that I can’t wait to make it again and get it perfect.
I topped this pizza with shaved brussels sprouts, mozzarella, and caramelized onions, and best of all, Zesty Z Za’atar. Keep scrolling for the full recipe!
1 envelope active dry yeast (about 2¼ tsp.)
2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for bowl
2 tsp kosher salt
4 c all-purpose flour, divided, plus more for surface
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c Zesty Z za’atar, plus 2 tbsp for sprinkling later
1 c mozzarella
1/4 c caramelized onions
1/4 c brussels sprouts, chopped and tossed lightly in oil
- Combine yeast and 1½ cups warm water (105–110°) in a large bowl; let stand until yeast starts to foam, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in oil, salt and 2 cups flour. Add the other 2 cups flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing until incorporated and a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until soft, smooth, and elastic, 10–12 minutes. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill 24 hours.
- Generously coat a 6×12′ baking pan with oil. Stretch out the dough on the baking pan and let it sit in a warm place until it is puffed and full of air bubbles
- Preheat the oven to 525 or as hot as it will go.
- Spread an even layer of Zesty Z za’atar on the dough, leaving 1/2 inch on all sides Then sprinkle on the mozzarella, primarily over the Zesty Z. Leaving a few pieces of mozzarella over the crust is fine – it just will turn into a great golden brown. Finally, evenly distribute the caramelized onions and brussels sprouts on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown. Spread a little more Zesty Z za’atar on top.