It’s the end of finals, so obviously I made funfetti cake.
I always wanted to make Molly’s homemade funfetti cake, but after meeting her last year for Cherry Bombe, I was feeling particularly inspired.
I don’t associate funfetti cake with my childhood like I feel a lot of my friends do. I can appreciate the colorful sprinkles and fluffy white cake, but I have no attachment to the fake, from-a-box flavor.
This cake just takes all the childhood fun and makes it a little more gourmet.
2 1/2 c flour
1/4 c constarch
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 c sugar
4 large egg whites
1/4 c flavorless oil
1 tb clear imitation vanilla
3/4 c whole milk
1/2 c rainbow sprinkles (artificially colored cynlinders, not nonpareils, sanding sugar, or anything naturally colored)
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 1/2 c powdered sugar
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp clear imitation vanilla
2 tb whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºf. Grease and line the bottoms of three 8-inch cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the egg whites, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. add the oil and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add the dry mixture and the milk in two or three alternating batches and mix until just barely combined, using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the sprinkles until they’re evenly distributed. distribute the batter among the cake pans, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Begin checking for doneness at 25 minutes.
- When the cakes are still warm, brush with cake soak.
- Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth and gradually beat in the powdered sugar. Add the salt, extracts, and milk and beat to combine.
- Frost the cake as desired and enjoy!