Last week we bought fresh beets and I decided that it would be perfect to make a beet salad. Beet salads are one of my favorite foods, but I never had the chance to make it myself before. I don’t know why – it is super easy and delicious! I normally have beet salad with blue cheese, but since feta cheese was the only thing in our fridge, feta cheese it was! I based the following recipe almost exactly off this one, which was meant for only feta, and it turned out equally great.
I have written out the steps between the photos, and the full recipe is at the bottom.
You can cut the beets with either scissors or your own hands.
Once stems are cut off, place on a cooking pan, and cover with oil and salt.
After it is cooked, peel off the skin,which should be very soft and easy.
Cut the beets into quarters, and mix with enough olive oil to cover all the beets completely, and salt to taste.
Mix cut, washed lettuce and feta cheese in a separate bowl, and add olive oil.
Combine the beets with the lettuce and cheese.
- 1 bunch red beets
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped lettuce, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Tear or cut the beet tops from the beets, leaving about an inch of stalk attached. Wash and thoroughly dry the beets.
3. Place beets in a roasting pan or on a flat baking pan or sheet pan. Drizzle with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Roast for 30-45 minutes, depending on size and the desired doneness. Test for doneness after about 30 minutes of cooking by piercing the largest beet with a knife. If the knife easily enters the beet with only a small amount of resistance, it’s done. And the smaller ones will be, too.
4. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes or so.